Sunday, June 1, 2014

Reading List! (June 1, 2014)


Finished this month:

How I Know… God Answers Prayer by Rosalind Goforth
This was a great little biography of answered prayer by a missionary’s wife to China at the turn of the 20th century. So inspiring how God saved their lives multiple times, healed people who were sick and supplied “impossible” needs. May we grow in our faith and pray!

“But the wonder is not that God can answer prayer, but that He does….” (p. 114, emphasis hers)

A Treasury of Prayer – the best of E.M. Bounds (edited by Leonard Ravenhill)
If I could use one word to describe this book it would be the word radical. I have been so much more inspired to pray and to persevere in prayer by reading E.M. Bounds… in fact I can’t NOT pray!

 “Prayer is the easiest and the hardest of all things… its results lie outside the range of human possibilities – they are limited only by the omnipotence of God. Few Christians have anything but a vague idea of the power of prayer; fewer still have any experience of that power.” (p. 71)

“Prayer moves the hand that moves the world.” (p. 183)

A Beginner’s Guide to Spiritual Gifts by Sam Storms
This book is not for everyone. If you are open to the fact or already believe that spiritual gifts have not ceased than this is a book you should definitely read. Otherwise, you probably won’t care for it.

As I started 2 online Seminary-level classes this month, I’ve done a lot of reading for them. Here are two that I’ve finished that I think others would also enjoy:

The True Story of the Whole World by Craig Bartholomew & Michael Goheen
This book is a really neat overview of the whole Bible! If you want to read something that will sum up or give you a good survey of the Bible this would be great! I really loved how the authors show the overarching story of Scripture pointing towards (or back) to Christ as the climax. It’s very easy to read too! There was just their interpretation of 1 verse that I didn’t quite agree with, it was a bit bizarre and surprising (because their theology is all really good), but minor. (If you’re dying to know they mentioned that in Genesis 1:26 God was addressing the “angelic council” which I do not think that is right… I see God addressing the other members of the Trinity). But otherwise, the book is really great!

CrossTalk: Where Life and Scripture Meet by Michael Emlet
If you want to know how to better bring Scripture to a discipleship/counseling relationship you have this book will be an excellent help! It actually made me cry at least twice – Scripture really has such power to change people!

“All Scripture invites a response to God. In this sense, all Scripture is practical theology – narrative with a punch!” (p. 51)


Currently Reading:
I’m in the middle of The Lamb is All the Glory by Richard Brooks (a commentary on the book of Revelation)


Additional books I want to finish this month:
As I’m working on some other books (not to mention writing papers!) for classes I don’t know if I’ll have much time to finish another book this month, but this is the one that I want to start next:
Spurgeon on Prayer & Spiritual Warfare by Charles H. Spurgeon 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading - please feel free to comment! I appreciate your thoughts, encouragement and even differing opinions but please be considerate and respectful in how you express yourself.