Thursday, March 6, 2014

Musings from a Christian Concert



On March 1, I was able to go with some friends to a Casting Crowns concert, also featuring For King and Country and Laura Story.


 I will say right off that I really hope Laura Story can come for a whole concert sometime – what an inspiring woman of God and incredible songwriter! (I had no idea that she wrote “Indescribable” and “Mighty to Save”!!!!)



This was my 3rd Casting Crowns concert (2nd in the last 6 months). I’ve been to a number of Christian concerts over the years, but they have been my favorite. They put all their lyrics up on the screen so it’s not just a concert – its a few thousand people all singing worship to the Lord.
 

As they are youth leaders most of their songs come from messages that they gave to their youth groups which explains why many of their songs are story-like. And why, Mark Hall (the lead singer) joked they can’t write a song shorter than 5 minutes! :-) 
 

For the past year especially, their music has really spoken to my spirit, encouraged me, I think because they speak realistically to life’s struggle and suffering, and bring the hope that only Christ can give. They have also led me to worship God and I greatly appreciate their heart and their lyrics. Some have said they’re lyrics are simplistic, and yes, they often are. But yet, I find them simplistically deep if there is such a thing. There are beautiful nuggets of truth in their songs, and words that speak deep to the soul.


If your eyes are on the storm
You'll wonder if I love you still
But if your eyes are on the cross
You'll know I always have and I always will

And not a tear is wasted
In time, you'll understand
I'm painting beauty with the ashes
Your life is in My hands

So when you're on your knees and answers seem so far away
You're not alone, stop holding on and just be held
Your worlds not falling apart, its falling into place
I'm on the throne, stop holding on and just be held
Just be held, just be held
  (-“Just Be Held”)


Here I am, Lord, and I'm drowning in your sea of forgetfulness
The chains of yesterday surround me
I yearn for peace and rest
I don't want to end up where You found me
And it echoes in my mind, keeps me awake tonight
I know You've cast my sin as far as the east is from the west
And I stand before You now as though I've never sinned
But today I feel like I'm just one mistake away from You leaving me this way

I know You've washed me white, turned my darkness into light
I need Your peace to get me through, to get me through this night
I can't live by what I feel, but by the truth Your word reveals
I'm not holding on to You, but You're holding on to me
You're holding on to me



Jesus, You know just how far the east is from the west
I don't have to see the man I've been come rising up in me again
In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'cause You know just how far the east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other
   (-  "East To West")

My favorite song of theirs at the moment (and it's not one they did at this concert either):  "At Your Feet"  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT6lFcM-Fv8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading - please feel free to comment! I appreciate your thoughts, encouragement and even differing opinions but please be considerate and respectful in how you express yourself.