Sunday, December 1, 2013

Reading List! (December 1, 2013)


It is not the number of books you read, nor the variety of sermons you hear, nor the amount of religious conversation in which you mix, but it is the frequency and earnestness with which you meditate on these things till the truth in them becomes your own and part of your being, that ensures your growth.   – Frederick W. Robertson

Finished this month:

The Hobbit by J.R. Tolkien
This made me anticipate the 2nd movie of the Trilogy coming out this month! But, I must say, I still like The Lord of the Rings a lot better.

A Gospel Primer by Milton Vincent
This was such a great book – one I think every Christian MUST read! It’s the Gospel – very simply explained and laid out! It’s great resource to keep nearby and review often!
“The more I absorbed I am in the Gospel, the more grateful I become in the midst of my circumstances, whatever they may be.” (p. 47)

That Jesus was willing His life to lay down,
Be scourged and insulted and wear thorny crown
For one such as I who had spited God so,
Amazes and blesses and makes me to know
That greater a lover is no man than He,
Who laid down His life for a sinner like me! (p. 78)

Are Miraculous Gifts For Today? – Four Views by Wayne Grudem
This was a really interesting and enlightening book. I’ll omit my personal convictions, and quote Grudem, “…the question as to which view is most faithful to Scripture, I now leave to the reader to decide.” (p. 15) I will say though, that my favorite part of the book was Wayne Grudem’s conclusion at the very end.

The Bookends of the Christian Life by Jerry Bridges & Bob Bevington
This was a really excellent book – I highly recommend it! It’s about how we must base all of live on two crucial “bookends”: The righteousness of Christ & the power of the Holy Spirit. Jerry Bridges is one of my top favorite authors and I got the privilege of meeting and hearing him speak this past month…. That was pretty great!
“Because we have a natural tendency to look within ourselves for the basis of God’s approval or disapproval, we must make a conscious daily effort to look outside of ourselves to the righteousness of Christ, then to stand in the present reality of our justification.” (p. 30)
“Just as (we) must look outside of (ourselves) to Christ’s righteousness for (our) standing before God, (we) must also look outside of (ourselves) to the power of the Holy Spirit for (our) strength to live the Christian life.” (p. 83)


Currently Reading:
When I Don’t Desire God – How to Fight for Joy by John Piper* (I read this one a few years ago, and have picked it up again!)
Jefferson Lies – exposing the myths you’ve always believed about Thomas Jefferson by David Barton
Addictions – A Banquet in the Grave by Edward T. Welch (I’m reading this as a study with a friend, so it may take longer to get through.)


Additional books I want to finish this month:
Temptation by John Owen*
Choosing Forgiveness by Nancy Leigh DeMoss*
Does God Desire All to Be Saved? by John Piper
Hole in Our Holiness by Kevin DeYoung

*an addition from last month’s log.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading - please feel free to comment! I appreciate your thoughts, encouragement and even differing opinions but please be considerate and respectful in how you express yourself.